Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Cellphones. Love. Life.

What is it about people and the need to keep on updating and replacing and upgrading our stuff? Not only is it a time consuming, mind boggling thing to do, but on a more practical note, it is a very expensive hobby.

We live in a world of consumerism where wants and desires are escalating but the means to buy is plummeting. And yet our craving is excessively increasing.

Is it possible that the reason behind this never-ending cycle is because we seldom take even just a moment to think things through?

I have been employed for almost 3 years, give or take a few months. Like most people my age, my first splurge was on a good mobile phone. The choices available is endless. However, from the very start, I wanted a Nokia 6600. Before I bought it, I already made up my mind that this is most probably the best phone to suit my needs. It has all the features I need and more.

Despite the abuse I've unintentionally subjected it to, my phone is very loyal to me.

I've dropped it while jogging upstairs
I've dropped it on asphalt while alighting from a high vehicle
I've left it in an editing room where strangers come and go

It has proven its worth and loyalty to me (if inanimate objects may be called loyal, my phone tops the list) and I have yet to feel the urge to sell it.

This attitude is something I pride myself in. When I decide to love, I will give love. When I have professed loyalty, I will give loyalty.

This is why it boggles my mind how quickly other people forget and move on. Don't get me wrong. I don't believe in living in the past. However, I do believe that we should accord respect to the things... to the PEOPLE that brought us joy, gave us love and even if just for a moment, made us the center of their lives.

Why are we always in a hurry? The world is moving fast enough for all of us. Maybe, if we took the time to rest, we will do ourselves a favor and realize that we have it made and there is no need to throw the current for the uncertain next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home